Thursday 7 June 2007

Harajuku

This weekend, I went to Harajuku for the first time with a friend of mine. Neither of us had been there and it actually wasn't at all how I expected it to be. Anytime I've asked someone about Harajuku one of the words that they usually tend to describe it as is "crazy." I expected lots of loud people and unique clothe, but I also expected for it to be more wild in a way.

I didn't really think it was wild or crazy. Sure, some of the people are dressed in interesting ways and there were lots of singers and dancers, but really it felt more like a giant stage for everyone to perform. No need to sign up--just come and use the park as your auditorium. The audience moves around more than most audiences do, but everyone has the opportunity to share their talents.

When we started walking toward the park we ran into some people with "Free Hug" signs. I've seen these signs in other big cities, but it was different in Japan. Most Japanese people don't hug too many people and I can think of many awkward hugs that I've had with some of my Japanese friends. These people were really friendly.

These belly dancers had a crowd of people waiting to watch them perform. Even though they weren't playing music or dancing at the time, as the people passed they paused and waited to watch these girls. Of all the people at the park that day I think these girls stood out. Of all the people we watched, these girls and some tap dancers were my favorite.

There were a lot of people getting ready when I got there also. I think this man was going to put on a little magic show, but he was nice enough to pose for a picture as he prepared.

This biker was really great, but as more and more people stopped to watch the amount of space he had to ride on got smaller and smaller. He even fell once trying to avoid hitting a woman passing by. It's really brave of these bikers and skateboarders to practice in a space like this because there are so many people around that they could bump into.
Finally there were LOTS of musicians at the park. Maybe the drummers in the picture are friends with Nao. The younger musicians liked being photographed and they were much happier playing with a crowd watching, but the drummers didn't really like that. It seemed like they would have rather just played and didn't really want spectators.
I had a really great time walking through the park and watching the people in Harajuku.


********************************************

I had to record audio for another class about my day in Harajuku so I figured I might as well add it to this blog too.
Click Here.

********************************************



No comments: