Thursday 21 June 2007

Prestige


Two weekends ago I went to Meiji Temple with a friend of mine. We had decided to walk there while we waited for some friends to arrive and we were fortunate enough to walk in as a wedding procession passed. It was really amazing to see the people, but more interesting that that was what my friend was telling me about weddings.

I know that weddings in Japan are expensive, but she mentioned that it was probably super expensive to be married here. I hadn't thought of that. So I asked her, why would you want to spend so much money just to have your wedding here though?

"Status, of course. If you have your wedding here then everybody knows you have
a lot of money."


It's amazing to think that the idea of spending the money just to have the status among your social circle is important now. I guess in America we have that same mentality. The woman could buy a designer dress and the wedding could be a destination wedding an exotic country, but it doesn't seem to make sense that important ceremonies could be used to gain that status. Sure, a couple could pay the astronomical amount it would cost to be married at Meiji Temple, but really it shouldn't matter. Every culture has their way of showing status through elaborate ceremonies or possessions, but I think it takes away from the ceremony if you're only doing it for the prestige.

No comments: