Wednesday 20 June 2007

More Observations

We've mentioned a few times in class that there are rules that everyone's following in Japan and I've really been noticing many people and their behaviors, especially the people who are not following the "rules"

The other day, through a window, I watched a man eat an onigiri as he walked down the sidewalk. Even though I'm sure he was starving, he was eating it as though he needed to hurry and be seen as little as possible as he ate. I guess he had decided that he was going to eat it, but a little voice in his head was probably telling him, "Hey! What are you doing?! You're not supposed to eat and walk down the street." So instead of just eating in happily, he tried to eat it as quickly as possible.

Another man was doing something even more bizarre! I was coming up the stairs at Azabu Juban station the other day, and as all of you know there are so many stairs! (Maybe I should count them one day.) I looked up to see just how many more I had to climb and I noticed that there was a man walking down the stairs backwards. He was an older Japanese man and he had just decided to walk down backwards. I don't' know why and I didn't want to stop him, but I did pass and say "Gambate!" because I'm sure it's a little bit difficult to get down all of those stairs backwards! :D

No comments: